Join now


Manage your super account anytime.

Log in to MembersOnline

First time accessing MembersOnline?

Register for online access
Find my member number

MembersOnline will be unavailable Friday 27 May 6:00pm - 11:30pm.

Aware Super’s clearing house

You can login to Aware Super’s clearing house account anytime.

Log in to the clearing house

Register as an Aware Super employer

Register now

If you’re leaving Australia after working here as a temporary resident, don’t forget to claim any super you may have earned. It's easy, and you can do it online.

As a temporary resident, you can claim any super you’ve earned once you’ve left Australia. If you don’t make a claim with your super fund, your money will eventually be transferred to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO), so it’s worth adding to your to-do list when it’s time to leave Australia.

Steps to claim your super

Follow the steps below to claim your super. But remember, you must make a claim within six months from the date your visa expired.

NOTE: If you don’t claim your super within six months of both departing Australia and the cancellation or expiry of your visa, the ATO will instruct us to transfer your balance to the ATO as unclaimed monies. In such cases, we rely upon an exemption provided by ASIC to the effect that we are not obliged to notify a member of the transfer to the ATO or to send a member an exit statement. If this occurs, you will need to claim your superannuation directly from the ATO by calling their superannuation line on 13 10 20 (within Australia) or +61 2 6216 1111 (from outside Australia), or emailing them at

1. Information you will need

To make an application to claim your super, you will need:

  • Your personal details
  • Passport number
  • Your super fund’s details and account number
  • Your tax file number Certified ID

When you leave Australia, make sure to have your passport date stamped by Australian Customs as proof of eligibility for your super claim. This isn’t required if your visa has expired or been cancelled.

If you’ve lost the details of any funds you were with, the ATO can help you find any accounts with your tax file number. Simply create an account with the Australian Government's myGov website to track down any lost super.

Search for your lost super

2. Apply for your super through the ATO

  • Apply online using the ATO’s Departing Australia Superannuation Payment application system
  • Apply through the post by downloading and mailing an Application for a departing Australia superannuation payment application form.

This applies to all temporary residents, except for those on visa classes 405 and 410. It doesn’t apply to New Zealand residents, who have retiring rights in Australia.

Please note: If the value of your super is greater than $5,000, there may be additional forms and costs associated with using the paper form. The online form has no additional costs, and only requires you to post certified copies of your ID documents to us and provide your banking details.

Learn more

3. Receiving your super

  • You’ll receive your super as a cheque in Australian dollars in the mail, so you don't need to have an Australian bank account.
  • If you’d prefer, we can pay your super into an Australian bank account if you provide a written request accompanied by a bank statement and three points of identification, once the DASP application has been submitted.
  • Please keep in mind it can take up to four weeks for payments to be processed.
  • Super payments to temporary residents are generally taxed at a rate of 65%. You can find more information on the ATO website.

Visit the ATO website

New Zealand and Australian citizens moving to New Zealand

If you are a New Zealand or Australian citizen moving indefinitely or permanently to New Zealand, you can apply to transfer the balance of all your super accounts to a participating KiwiSaver account.

You can start the process once you have permanently emigrated to New Zealand and have opened a KiwiSaver account that will accept your Australian super. Find out more about KiwiSaver.

If you are ready to transfer your Aware Super account balance to a KiwiSaver scheme account, follow these steps:

  1. Download the ATO application form
  2. Complete your personal details
  3. Provide your KiwiSaver scheme account details
  4. Complete the statutory declaration
  5. Provide certified proof of identity documents with your application.
    If you’ve previously provided them, you don’t need to do so again, unless they have expired or your name and address have changed
  6. Send the completed form to Aware Super by email to:

Or post the original form to PO Box 1229, Wollongong, NSW 2500 If you have any questions, please call us on 1300 650 873 (or +61 2 4298 6049 from outside Australia).

Expert super advice

When and how you want it