Are you and your employees with a top performing fund?
Your Future Your Super - important changes to super legislation…
On 17 June 2021, the Australian Government passed new superannuation legislation in Parliament called Your Future, Your Super (YFYS).
This is one of the most significant changes to the way the superannuation system works and has been designed to help protect the retirement savings of working Australians.
The majority of changes became law on 1 July 2021, with the exception of ‘member stapling’ that will be delayed until 1 November 2021.
1. One fund for life
Working Australians will be tied to one super fund for life, unless they actively choose otherwise. The Your Future, Your Super legislation refers to this as ‘member stapling’.
person’s existing active super account will be their ‘stapled account’ for life, unless they change. This will be effective from 1 November 2021.
What do we need to do?
- For any new employees from 1 November 2021, an employer’s payroll will be required to check ATO records for a stapled account if the new employees does not provide their superannuation account on commencement.
- The moment an employee joins a new employer it is an important super moment where your employee should be making an informed choice about which super fund is right for them.
- The latest Superannuation (super) Standard Choice Form^ can be downloaded from our website for VicSuper default employers or the ATO website for all other employers.
- When starting a new job, check with your new employer's payroll team and request a Superannuation Standard Choice form to provide them with your super account details.
2. Are you with an underperforming fund?
An annual performance test, conducted by APRA was introduced and released on 31 August 2021.
The comparison includes administration fees over the past financial year and investment performance over eight years (except for 2021 only, this uses a seven-year period), to help members compare between funds. This compares super funds ‘MySuper’ products.
What do we need to do?
- If an employee chooses to change their super fund, they will need to complete a choice form^ and submit to your HR / Payroll team to action.
- If an employee receives a letter from their super fund from 1 October 2021 advising they’re in an underperforming fund, encourage choice: an employee should be making an informed choice about which super fund is right for them.
- Research and review your superannuation fund's performance.
- Review your super goals and your fund's performance: performance of your super fund could potentially impact your retirement savings.
- If you would like more information, talk to us and arrange a general super chat – we're here to help.
3. Best financial interests duty
This duty includes the requirement for superannuation trustees to demonstrate that all expenditure is in a member’s best financial interests.
We’re here to help you and your employees. We have a range of education, guidance and advice available to assist either in the workplace or online. Access our education webinars or arrange a general super chat session for your employees.